Collage - Journal 1932...

Collage - Journal 1932...

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sophisticated design......"caret initio et fine"

Most women like Burmese Sapphires, Colombian Emeralds, Brazilian Aquamarine, Tahitian Black Pearls......................but this post is going to be about a simple vase created by Alvar Aalto(architect and designer)for Iittala and the World Fair in Paris in 1937. Alvar Aalto son of a cartographer – as a child I was told he got the inspiration from looking at the outlines of mountains on a topographical map . A contemporary piece "The Aalto Vase." This is still a "classical" for being contemporary. Place it on one of your Carl Malmsten tables, matching your curtains designed by Josef Frank - fill it with tulips....a simple touch of understated elegance...........
“A flowerless room is a soulless room, to my way of thinking; but even on solitary little vase of a living flower may redeem it.”
- Vita Sackville-West

1 comment:

  1. I love Vita S-W and I have this very vase. The next time I fill it with flowers, I will think of her...and this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete