Collage - Journal 1932...

Collage - Journal 1932...

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Campaign Furniture - Easily portable...


Bring your travel library with you.

Writing Slope


Some good Roorkhee Chairs - one of my favorites -  bring six to eight of these chairs ...so you are able to sit back with your friends in comfort by the camp fire - under the stars - listening to the sounds of the african night somewhere out there in the tropical zone...

A Tantalus for your travels - most important

Campaign furniture - Africa and India comes first to our mind - when we talk about furniture made for travel - any type of furniture that could be easily disassembled and transported on a short notice. I refer mainly to the British Empire in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Made for the military campaigns by some of the best furniture makers you could find in the Empire.  Furniture that was built to last under severe rough conditions.

"The traveller" could now when he arrived in the colonies have the same standard of living as he did at home.

The Duke of Wellington.....

The Duke of Wellington used campaign furniture on his expeditions. Today , I suppose it is rare and rather collectible. "Under Canvas"  - a simple life - around the globe.

Travel Flask...

Travel Cup.....

Cutlery

1 comment:

  1. I've let life sweep me away from your blog and I am so regretting it after reading this post! You are one of a kind, Tavarua. I am now intent on getting those gorgeous campaign chairs for dinners al fresco and wishing that I could take a travel library with me whenever I hop it to foreign climes. Bravo. xx

    ReplyDelete